Sunday, November 21, 2010

What's the easiest way to memorize the periodic table?

I have to memorize the first 30 elements in the periodic table, atomic number, name of element and family belongs to.

Any tips on how i could do this.What's the easiest way to memorize the periodic table?
I memmorize them by family, which make remembering the atomic number quite easy. And I think U should make little nickname for each element (which is FAMILIAR to U), then U would be able to remember (^-^)What's the easiest way to memorize the periodic table?
For names at least, you can make up a little story/rhyme type of thing. So, the first few is H, He, Li, Be, B, and in school we were told ';He,he, little bertie beetle....';

In terms of atomic number it is sequential and it is just plain rote for learning which family it belongs to.
Try drawing the table up on a board or or a canvass etc. and hang it up in your room ... maybe in front of your table. So each time you look up you see it. start by memorizing parts of it. and progress along.

I had a Sri Lankan rhyme which helped me remember it but I guess that wouldn't help ;)



All the best!
The periodic table is kind of divided in to chunks based on orbitals. So memorize each small chunk.
Memorize by repeating the names of the elements according to their group

memorize one group each day

that will make it
make a story using the elements.... in that way memorising is quite fun... it worked for me...
I would suggest using 3x5 index cards and drill yourself on them...it worked for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment