Friday, November 19, 2010

How can you stop cats from jumping on the table and counters?

My cats keep jumping on the counter and table and I would just like to know how to stop it? What can I do ?How can you stop cats from jumping on the table and counters?
buy a small squirt gun and spray them when ever they jump up where you don't want them to. Just avoid getting any water in their ears.If you can get a good shot, shoot the water under their tail, they hate it.



or put tape rolls/ double stick tape where you don't want them to go. The tape will stick to their feet and freaks them out.



Both are harmless but unpleasant and will make them not want to jump on the counter anymore.How can you stop cats from jumping on the table and counters?
Most the above answers, spraying the kitty seems quite cruel and gets the house damp and double sided tape and such may leave residue on counters such as the granite at my house and my kitty uses foil balls as toys. Sophie the mackeral tabby was ALWAYS on our new counters we got just before we took her in and clapping and ';no!';s just didn't work she was always eating the scraps on the dirty plates waiting to be cleaned and licking the ice cream from the bowls!!! Untill one day my little sister got a spirt shaker (water bottle w/ beads in it) at a school football game. She was shaking it for no reason the same time my kitty leaped up and it scared the crap outta her!!! we did a couple times after she jumped and she simply doesn't even jump anymore and if she does on a rare ocassion she leaps off at the sight of us! you can make your own with beads, rice, or beans. we keep it on the counter in the kitchen for easy acess. and make sure that the cat doesn't get a hold of it, because it may become a toy and then will no longer work as a ';no-no'; tool. and never ever shake it or let a kid shake it without the kitty on the counters cuz then it won't be as scared anymore and it will no longer have the same effect.

hope it helps :)

Maddie
As mentioned above, foil and spray bottles are effective. Strong citrus scents (polish, deodorizers) also work; cats usually dislike citrus. Just please, don't spray the cat with citrus scents! :) That would be cruel. And if you go with a spray bottle, plain water should do it. Don't use a substitute like vinegar.
Yes, dido on above yet again...and for free, just bang on the table when they are in mide-leap. That scares my cats right off. And by now they know better than to be on there with me around...but when I'm not there...just try the foil or tape, that way if you're not there to squirt them, there will still be something there to stop them.
Oh man I remember those days. I was going to suggest two options, but see the foil is already done so I will go with my other. You might want to go to your local store and get a clean empty spray bottle. Fill this with water and when ever your cats jumps up where he doesn't belong, squirt him and tell him no.
Try a firm ';no'; and avoid leaving things adventurous for them, My cats are friendly and love to come close - one cat loves sticks of a pencil , one loves orange wood manicure sticks. My personal items, so they

try to be close. They just love you.
When I'm home I yell at them when they jump on the counter. When I'm away I put something like cereal boxes at the edge of the counter because if they jump on the counter it sets off my home alarm.



good luck.



Michelle

http://www.loveablecats.net
Foil.......just slightly crumple it and lay it along the edges.The sound of the foil and the slipperiness might keep her off.

No comments:

Post a Comment