Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do I remove black paint from an antique kitchen table?

I found an otherwise nice kitchen table and six chairs at an estate sale for $60. The problem...they painted it in an unknown type of black paint. Do I need to know what type of paint it is before starting the refinishing process? How do I find that out?How do I remove black paint from an antique kitchen table?
Had a shop when I came across esp black paint I would always get the client to sign off on the possibility that though I could remove the paint there might be noticeable residue.

Not all bad.......esp if it is an older hardwood set %26amp; originally had a clear finish which helps release the paint.

Does not matter what kind of paint it is.

One of the heavy paste strippers would be best since it does not ';melt ';the paint %26amp; takes it off in relatively dry patches that can be lifted off rather than scraped %26amp; scrubbed which generally makes things worse.

OK to use a gel ,liquid stripper or mineral spirits , fine steel or bronze wool %26amp; plenty of rags as a ';cleanup'; ..

When any paint residue gets into bare wood , ';its in there'; %26amp; getting it out entirely without damaging the wood is almost impossible even w/ commercial strippers.

Trying to ';sand'; it out will make things worse %26amp; if you intend to stain %26amp; use a natural finish will look uneven.

Finishing is a whole other story.

Might look for tinted finishes in spraycans that will allow for

feathering over uneven color if you do end up w/ blemished surfaces.

Best regardsHow do I remove black paint from an antique kitchen table?
No! I would just use any ole' stripper to get started. You never know what will be under the paint as well. Just get some paint stripper and a bag of coarse steel wool and fine steel wool as well as a putty knife. I might start on a chair just in case you find out the wood has been stained purple underneath or something. Stain is a whole different ball game.

No comments:

Post a Comment