Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do I make a temporary table top?

I would like to make a temporary large table top say 8ft x 4ft to fit on top of our smaller table. Thinking of using a couple of pieces of MDF 8 x 2 and hinging or joining some other way. Does anyone have any ideas how best to do this?How do I make a temporary table top?
sure a 4 by 8 sheet of ply wood would make a fine temp table, sturdy too...use a smooth finsh with the good side upHow do I make a temporary table top?
Could you get a hollow core door and lay that on top. It would store easily behind a sofa or under a bed.
A 4x8 sheet of mdf or plywood will work fine.I've done this for large family getherings.

I put an old sheet on it first and then a table cloth.
Stefan,



I had to make a similar top at one point. I took a 4 x 8 (48 x 96 inches) sheet of 5/8 inch MDF and cut it into 3 pieces, each 48 x 32 inches. This size piece is easy to store in a closet when not in use.



I used 4 pieces of 94 inch long 1 x 2 inch strips on the bottom as stiffeners and to join the pieces. I used 1/4 inch flathead machine screws, about 1-3/4 inches long, with a wing nut to attach the strips. These were inserted from the top and countersunk to be flush with the temporary table top. The two innermost strips were placed to fit snugly against the base table the temporary top was mounted on. This prevented anyone bumping the top and moving it off balance.



Depending on the size of your base table this may need to be modified to ensure that the top is supported.



If this isn't clear please let me know.
  • fish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment