Thursday, October 28, 2010

How can I copy and paste a table in Wikipedia to a text editor and keep it exactly the same?

I want to be able to copy and paste data tables from Wikipedia and keep them for offline storage. I've tried copying and pasting the data table's Wikitext code, but I don't know how to get a text editor to convert the code to text. I'm willing to download a text editor as long as it's freeware.How can I copy and paste a table in Wikipedia to a text editor and keep it exactly the same?
Already have Microsoft Excel? You can just use that. By using Excel, you can avail yourself to whatever other spreadsheet calculations you might want to do on the data with minimum hassle.



Just select the table in your Web browser, copy it (Ctrl-C), open a new Excel spreadsheet, paste it (Ctrl-V). You might have to widen some of the columns, but otherwise it's quite simple. I just tried it with a table from the article ';United States Senate elections, 2000';



I'm sure other spreadsheet programs (Star Office, Apple iWork, etc.) will also allow you to paste like that.



I hope I'm not telling you anything you haven't heard before when I tell you that you should regard any data you obtain from Wikipedia with caution; obtain the data from the original source whenever possible.How can I copy and paste a table in Wikipedia to a text editor and keep it exactly the same?
There is no need for fancy programs. Just copy and paste the table into word and it automatically keeps it the same as it is on Wikipedia.



But, very important. Make sure you select text above and below the table, too. You can always delete this extra text after it is in word.



I tried it just now on the page I give as a source. It works 100%.
Use a program called Snagit

No comments:

Post a Comment