Sunday, December 11, 2011

How do I stop my cat from jumping on dining table?

My cat is a healthy, social, 1 year old adult male, not yet neutered. He didn't start jumping on the kitchen table until about a week ago, and he won't stop. I don't want him getting on the table and my verbal reprimands are not working whatsoever. I tell him to get down, but after getting down, he jumps right back on there. How do I un-train him of being on the kitchen table?How do I stop my cat from jumping on dining table?
The others are right to suggest a spray bottle to discourage this, but also you may want to consider the reasons he may have started doing this. Do you give him people food sometimes? If so, he may have come to the conclusion that people food is for him, too, so he goes onto the table to look for it. Also, since he is an intact male, he is at the age when he is developing secondary sex characteristics such as territorial tendencies. Intact male cats like to scope out higher places like tables, desks, and countertops. I wouldn't be suprised if he soon starts leaving his pungent urine marks on the table. Your best bet is to arrange for his castration soon before he begins spraying.How do I stop my cat from jumping on dining table?
spray bottle or water gun. :-)
my kitten is six months and he is the same with our barstools and bar...I use a squirt bottle and yell, or occasionally swat him gently on the butt...its worked so far =)
spray him with a water bottle or sprinkle pepper all over the table for a day or two ..
God! If you figure it out, email me!!! My cat has been doing that for years!!! -- and he's neutered! FYI, water didn't seem to affect him in the least.
i stopped mine jumping on my kitchen benches by rubbing orange peel around the edges and leaving a huge bowl of citrus fruit on it or alternatively cats detest the smell of lavender so you could try putting a lavender pot plant on the table



THERE IS NEVER ANY NEED TO GET AGGRESSIVE TOWARDS AN ANIMAL THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER WAY THEY DONT UNDERSTAND AGGRESSION
I wish i knew the answer to this one. It would have saved my gorgeous teak table from all the scratches embedded. Now I have to refinish the entire thing, including the chairs because they didn't leave them alone either. it seems they didn't respect any wood in the house. Its good that you are seeking advice quick in the game. good luck!
Squirt Bottle or Water Gun and if plain water doesn't work try vinegar in it.



The other thing that worked on one of my cats is when she did something bad I'd just hold her completely still for a few minutes. She HATED it, but she doesn't claw things anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment