Sunday, December 11, 2011

How can I fix a bad spot on my new kitchen table?

Some scented oil fell on my table today, and completely wore off the top layer of finish. I am not a very handy person around the house, but I really want to fix it myself. Could I please get some advice about how to fix this? Thanks!How can I fix a bad spot on my new kitchen table?
If you have not lost any color, you can sometimes get it back by spraying on aerosol touch up lacquer, letting it dry, sanding it back a bit, and repeating until it's smooth and level. Best to use a high-solids version like a ';sanding sealer'; (note this is not the same as sanding sealers sold for finishing work.)



Once you are done, you'll have to blend the sheen. Not knowing what's there now, it's hard to give advice for this. You may need to buff or spray the entire top to get it to match.



If you have lost color, you have additional problems. There is color in either toners (lacquer with color added) or brushing in color with an artist's brush, pigments, or padding. You need a gentle touch, good lighting, and an excellent color eye for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment